Feeling stuck? Indecisive? Got a serious case of brain fog going on? Feel like you’ve lost your bearings? Dropped the map?
Having a lack of clarity and being confused about what to do next can be distressing. If you’re in the very human stare of being doubtful, double minded, blocked, trapped, frozen – connection and reflection can help. Journaling is a way we can reconnect with our inner compass and reflect on why we feel the way we feel. It provides a way to listen to ourselves and uncover the secrets of the heart.
“Writing is thinking. To write well is to think clearly. That’s why it’s so hard.”David McCullough
When writing for therapeutic purposes, remember honesty is king, non-judgement is queen and all emotion is welcome. Read what you have written, ponder and where possible expand on your answers. Expose your fear and understand that all you’re mining for is ‘the next step’. These prompts are not about making a life plan or figuring out the reason for your existence. They are a tool to help you up, out of the mind mud and on your way.
You can use each prompt at different times or in one long journaling session. Don’t rush. Don’t edit your spelling or grammar. If pain is triggered, and you feel yourself entering a dark place, leave the task for later. Find a quiet, comfy spot and commence.
- What is important to you?
- When do you feel most energized?
- Finish this sentence. If I was really courageous I would……
- Visualize the person you desire to be. What three words describe that person?
- What frames your identity?
- When it comes to making decisions, what do you find challenging?
- What do you have that you might have underestimated or overlooked?
- What do you need to stop doing that would improve your happiness?
- Clarity comes when we unclutter our lives. What can you remove from your life that isn’t important?
- What are you really good at?
- How do you define success?
- What are you the most enthusiastic about? If you are not enthusiastic about anything, remember a time when you were, what changed?
- What does your ideal day look like?
- What could your pain be teaching you?
- Imagine peace was a person. What would they say to you? If you were to follow them, where would they lead?
- What do you want to learn more about?
- When was the last time you felt a sense of accomplishment?
- What could you create, make, produce that would help you express yourself.
- Pain can paralyse. Write a few sentences and tell your future self what you did/will do with pain so he/she can be strong.
- What can you do to show kindness to yourself today?
When clarity is needed, jotting down my thoughts, fears, and frustrations leads me to see what I can do next. I also take wisdom from nature. Growth seems to happen effortlessly for anything with branches or leaves. Often I take a journal and pen outside. This is what nature has shown me about moving forward.
As the creeping fig reaches, she teaches. I write down her gentle instruction. ‘Love aligns, And creativity is the key to becoming unstuck.’
You can find more journaling prompts on processing your thoughts here or contact me about the unique therapeutic program ‘Write to Rise‘.
Write to Rise
Numerous studies have proven the value of therapeutic writing. Research shows it strengthens mental, emotional, and physical health, by reducing stress, regulating emotions, boosting memory and improving overall wellbeing.
The unique program ‘Write to Rise’ was crafted to assist participants to breakthrough in areas of their lives. Lauren leads individuals/groups through a series of writing exercises aimed to unlock creativity, draw out courage and increase clarity and self-awareness.